Skip to main content

The 'right' time for everything

Today is my birthday and I'll remember it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I was reminded today about the fact that people come to things in their own time, and that there is a right time for everything. You know how sometimes you feel that things just aren't clicking - but you know that what you are striving for will happen and that the right things will all connect at the right time to manifest your 'dream'. Today I facilitated a meeting between two people who I respect very highly, both extremely experienced in their fields. The meeting was to bring them together as a final attempt at gettting them to do business together. Until today, both people were focused on achieving the same thing (a business partnership) but for whatever reason they did not see eye to eye and the trust simply wasn't there to 'make it happen'. So we tried a last ditch attempt by asking each of them what they would be doing, on the assumption that they WERE in business together ... this got them thinking about the end rather than the means, and diverted their focus away from the barriers to proceeding. This had an interesting effect. It brought things to a head and enabled both parties to 'see' more clearly and reach an agreement.

Secondly, my little daughter Amelie has her teeth coming through and that meant little sleep last night .... I guess that it was just the 'right' time for her teeth to appear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That was the week ...

I remembered today that I used to be a regular contributor to the Press business supplement in Christchurch, and this week has been one of tumultuous change for me for a variety of reasons. The business environment is difficult, and people all over the world are learning (quickly) how to deal with change. I no longer write for The Press, nor anyone else at the moment for that matter, and looking back at the road I used to travel when I lived in Christchurch I am quite taken aback by the support that I had from so many people and by the fortune that I enjoyed as a result - not monetary fortune, personal feel good fortune. The change that has occurred for me these past two weeks has set me back on a path I know, a road that I remember like one of those side roads you pop down in a town you know but havn't been back to for a few years. So maybe that writing thing will come back - it is fun, and with it the fortune that I remember. So, if you're reading this, if it helps, change is...

Christmas & Looking Forwards

Happy Christmas to those who have arrived here to read this post. The world and the media remind us often that Christmas is a time for giving, for compassion, for family, for celebrating Jesus and for receiving. It is also a time when we reflect on the past year - what has occurred and happened in our lives and where we have come. The New Year beckons and we begin to look forward to the positive changes that we desire, our aspirations and hopes for the future. We want to feel better in ourselves, and have an improved world with less stress, anxiety and suffering. Looking forwards is a powerful thing. It provides us with the ability to consider what may be, as we journey into the unknown. It enables us to work out where we would like things to go. In the animal kingdom, I expect we are one of very very few species that have this ability to look out over long periods of time. Other animals will look forwards I expect season by season, if that. They concentrate on the present. ...

Phronesis

Phronesis  is the capability to consider the mode of action in order to deliver change, especially to enhance the quality of life. It dates back as a theory or philosophy to Aristotle... Practical wisdom, applied to everyday situations, leads thought and leads people..