Skip to main content

The science behind coincidence?

I'm reading a book by Richard Dawkins - unweaving the rainbow and have just read the chapter on coincidence. Richard argues that all coincidences are really in our imagination or the result of a desire to want to believe in a force outside our control that brings things together.

This reminded me of the fact that 'like attracts like' and that this is a scientific argument - molecules of water when close together will draw together to create a drop of water - basically that seems to me to be the reason why everything 'hangs together' rather than blending together. (Of course things do 'blend together' - putting two chemicals together often creates a new substance although some things just do not go together, they cannot 'blend').

Coincidence can be scientifically proven - the book talks about the fact that in Britain, there are likely to be 38,000 people (out of the 55million odd) with the same three initials, so finding a watch with your initials on it, whilst surprising, is not that far from reach.

So the scientific 'like attracts like' thing, and coincidence both have a scientific basis - that doesn't detract in my mind from the fact that there is a force of nature, or energy, that does have infuence over our every day lives...both arguments (scientific reasoning and coincidence) can co-exist.

We grow every day and make choices about who we are with, where we go and what we do, and it is those choices that bring us the luck, good fortune, coincidence and the colour that fills our lives. Coincidence is fun, we find it exciting. So what if it has a scientific explanation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That was the week ...

I remembered today that I used to be a regular contributor to the Press business supplement in Christchurch, and this week has been one of tumultuous change for me for a variety of reasons. The business environment is difficult, and people all over the world are learning (quickly) how to deal with change. I no longer write for The Press, nor anyone else at the moment for that matter, and looking back at the road I used to travel when I lived in Christchurch I am quite taken aback by the support that I had from so many people and by the fortune that I enjoyed as a result - not monetary fortune, personal feel good fortune. The change that has occurred for me these past two weeks has set me back on a path I know, a road that I remember like one of those side roads you pop down in a town you know but havn't been back to for a few years. So maybe that writing thing will come back - it is fun, and with it the fortune that I remember. So, if you're reading this, if it helps, change is...

Christmas & Looking Forwards

Happy Christmas to those who have arrived here to read this post. The world and the media remind us often that Christmas is a time for giving, for compassion, for family, for celebrating Jesus and for receiving. It is also a time when we reflect on the past year - what has occurred and happened in our lives and where we have come. The New Year beckons and we begin to look forward to the positive changes that we desire, our aspirations and hopes for the future. We want to feel better in ourselves, and have an improved world with less stress, anxiety and suffering. Looking forwards is a powerful thing. It provides us with the ability to consider what may be, as we journey into the unknown. It enables us to work out where we would like things to go. In the animal kingdom, I expect we are one of very very few species that have this ability to look out over long periods of time. Other animals will look forwards I expect season by season, if that. They concentrate on the present. ...

Phronesis

Phronesis  is the capability to consider the mode of action in order to deliver change, especially to enhance the quality of life. It dates back as a theory or philosophy to Aristotle... Practical wisdom, applied to everyday situations, leads thought and leads people..