Skip to main content

Tools of the trade

To work, or not to work - many of us are thinking about our work, our jobs, our employment and what we do to make a living. In these turbulent times, we reflect on what we are doing and why we are doing it. For some it is about survival and ensuring our income is secure to support ourselves and our families; for others it is an opportunity for changing what we do to earn a living, to consider retraining or a change in career. So on the one hand there are those who seek security, for others the focus is on establishing a new direction first and worrying about where the dollars are coming from second. I am a firm believer that anyone will be successful and create enough wealth to support themselves and their families if they follow a few simple steps -
1. Make sure that whatever you are doing, you enjoy it (ie. you enjoy getting to work in the morning).
2. Whatever you are doing involves giving something back to others whether that is a service or a product - either way it is helping others
3. What you are doing is ethically sound and does not bring harm to anyone
4. Trust that what you are doing is right for you - and follow our intuition

The monkey on our back will often sow the seeds of doubt in our minds - our job is to recognise that monkey, hear it, know it for what it is and move on - more on this can be found in Dee Hock's fabulous book about the chaordic age, a book I thoroughly recommend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That was the week ...

I remembered today that I used to be a regular contributor to the Press business supplement in Christchurch, and this week has been one of tumultuous change for me for a variety of reasons. The business environment is difficult, and people all over the world are learning (quickly) how to deal with change. I no longer write for The Press, nor anyone else at the moment for that matter, and looking back at the road I used to travel when I lived in Christchurch I am quite taken aback by the support that I had from so many people and by the fortune that I enjoyed as a result - not monetary fortune, personal feel good fortune. The change that has occurred for me these past two weeks has set me back on a path I know, a road that I remember like one of those side roads you pop down in a town you know but havn't been back to for a few years. So maybe that writing thing will come back - it is fun, and with it the fortune that I remember. So, if you're reading this, if it helps, change is...

Christmas & Looking Forwards

Happy Christmas to those who have arrived here to read this post. The world and the media remind us often that Christmas is a time for giving, for compassion, for family, for celebrating Jesus and for receiving. It is also a time when we reflect on the past year - what has occurred and happened in our lives and where we have come. The New Year beckons and we begin to look forward to the positive changes that we desire, our aspirations and hopes for the future. We want to feel better in ourselves, and have an improved world with less stress, anxiety and suffering. Looking forwards is a powerful thing. It provides us with the ability to consider what may be, as we journey into the unknown. It enables us to work out where we would like things to go. In the animal kingdom, I expect we are one of very very few species that have this ability to look out over long periods of time. Other animals will look forwards I expect season by season, if that. They concentrate on the present. ...

Phronesis

Phronesis  is the capability to consider the mode of action in order to deliver change, especially to enhance the quality of life. It dates back as a theory or philosophy to Aristotle... Practical wisdom, applied to everyday situations, leads thought and leads people..